- Academic Prep
- Academic Pre-Prep
- Pastoral Care
- Performing & Creative Arts
- The School Day
- Progress & Reporting
- Learning Development
- Preparation for Senior Schools
Overview & Ethos
Sport is a central part of children’s lives at Dorset House.
We provide a programme that is well-balanced, challenging and fun. The main focus is on our team sports which for boys is football, rugby, hockey and cricket and for girls is hockey, netball and rounders.
Children in Year 3 and above receive at least 3 hours per week of tuition, including many opportunities to play in competitive school matches. In addition to this, we provide one lesson per week of PE which involves activities such as gymnastics, orienteering, athletics, swimming, cross-country and fitness training. Children in the Pre-Prep are taught two lessons per week of sport and will also receive a variety of sporting tuition.
Facilities at Dorset House include the following:
- Extensive playing fields for rounder’s, football, rugby and cricket
- Indoor space for gymnastics, dance, Judo and other indoor activities
- Heated outdoor swimming pool for lessons, galas and recreational use
- All-weather Astro-turf pitch for hockey, netball, football and tennis
- Hard court area for netball and tennis
- All-weather cricket nets
- Grass athletics track
- Facilities for long jump and triple jump
All our sports staff are highly qualified and specialists in a wide variety of sports, ensuring that our children receive top quality coaching and instruction. The pupil to staff ratio in sports lessons is such that children get a great deal of attention, with an emphasis on continuity and consistency throughout.
Every week, there are opportunities for children to compete in sporting fixtures against other schools, no matter what their ability. The occasions are great boosters for self-esteem, team work and camaraderie. Parents are warmly invited to spectate and to receive some hospitality afterwards.
There are great opportunities for children to take part in extra-curricular sporting activities throughout their time at the school.